WARREN - Everything was back to normal Thursday at Warren City Schools following a threat a day earlier.
Also, classes were cancelled Thursday at Mahoning County High School after a "medium- to low-credibility bomb threat" was received that morning, Youngstown fire Chief John O'Neill told newspartner WYTV 33 News.
Warren Superintendent Michael Notar said attendance at McGuffey K-8 was down slightly, but everything was back to normal after a bomb threat was discovered on a computer Wednesday afternoon.
Special to the Tribune Chronicle / Jackie Campbell
A threat was discovered Wednesday afternoon on a computer at McGuffey K-8 school in Warren.
"I talked to the building principal, and he's still investigating; he's gotten some leads and some help from people. He's going to keep me updated," he said.
The building principal contacted Warren police, who took a photo of the computer screen and inspected the school.
Jackie Campbell, 41, said her eighth-grade son also took a picture of the computer screen displaying the message.
"He took a picture of the previous bomb threat, too," she said, referring to a threat that was posted last month to McGuffey's internal messaging system. "For being 13, he understands that you have to have proof ... it seems like everything gets swept under the rug."
She said she kept two of her three children home Thursday, both of whom attend McGuffey.
"My big concern is the truth not coming out," Campbell said, explaining that a phone message she received did not explain the bomb threat.
Notar, who sent the automated message to parents Wednesday night, said he had just been informed and wasn't aware of the exact wording of the threat since police had conducted the investigation before he could get over there and take a look for himself.
Notar said he will send another detailed message to parents this weekend after the principal concludes his investigation, as well as notify them that he will meet with sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade students on Monday to talk about the recent threats.
There have been several school threats made to area schools in recent weeks.
Classes were cancelled Thursday at Mahoning County High School after a "medium- to low-credibility bomb threat" was received that morning, Youngstown fire Chief John O'Neill told newspartner WYTV 33 News.
Students and staff members were evacuated from Mahoning County High School about 8 a.m. Thursday. Emergency responders conduced a search but did not locate a bomb.
In another instance, Catholic schools in Youngstown went on modified lockdown last month after discovering an anonymous online post threatening to kill everyone at the school.
A LaBrae High School student was charged with inducing panic following an online threat last month, and a bomb threat also was called in to Campbell City Schools in late December.