Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Place An Ad | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

Fri., 3:01pm: UPDATE Attorney withdraws request to close Steubenville trial

January 25, 2013
Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com

STEUBENVILLE -- An attorney for one of two Ohio high school football players charged with raping a 16-year-old girl has withdrawn his motion to close the trial.

The attorney didn't explain why Friday during a hearing in Steubenville. He previously raised concerns that an open trial could lead to potential witnesses on the defendant's behalf being intimidated.

The move means there's currently no motion to close the trial, though the girl's attorney said he'd be willing to make a similar motion.

Meanwhile, attorneys for The Associated Press and other media presented arguments supporting an open trial to ensure public confidence in the proceedings.

The judge said he'd consider their statements but wouldn't rule Friday.

The athletes are accused of attacking the West Virginia girl after an alcohol-fueled party in August.

 
 

 

I am looking for: