This week 150 years ago in Civil War history, Nov. 19 to the 25 in 1862, was particularly quiet with respect to military engagement. Many units of both the Union and Confederate armies were already in winter quarters.
However, the Union Army of the Potomac under its newly appointed commander as of Nov. 9, General Ambrose Burnside, and Lee's Army of northern Virginia were already converging this week on Fredericksburg, Va., for a showdown on Dec. 13 that involved 186,500 total troops and 18,000 casualties.
A report, dated Nov. 21, 1862, did come in from the field, Jackson, Tenn., to the Western Reserve Chronicle from the 14th Ohio Independent Battery of Ohio Volunteer Artillery, better known as Burrow's Battery. I don't think we have given much, if any, press to this unit in previous editions of this column.
Capt. Jerome B. Burrows had been deputed by U.S. Sen. Benjamin Wade of Jefferson and U.S. Rep. John Hutchins of Warren to recruit a battery of artillery. The 14th was recruited from Ashtabula, Lake, Trumbull and Geauga Counties.
It was organized in Cleveland and mustered into service on Sept. 10, 1861. It trained at Camp Wade in Cleveland until Jan. 1, 1863, when it moved to Camp Dennison, Cincinnati, for the balance of its training before being deployed in the field on Feb. 9.
The 14th participated in the Battle of Shiloh, the Siege of Corinth, in eight battles of the Atlanta Campaign and the Battle of Nashville.
Jerome Burrows was an attorney in Geneva when he enlisted In April of 1861 as a sergeant in the Geneva gun squad of the Cleveland Light Artillery, a three-month enlistment unit. Sgt. Burrows had the distinction of firing the first Union artillery volley of the Civil War at the Battle of Philippi (now West Virginia) on June 3, 1861.
The following excerpt from the above-mentioned article was from a Trumbull correspondent in the 14th. At the time of his writing the unit was on garrison duty in Jackson, Tenn., where it would remain until June 2, 1863:
Dear Chronicle: - Since my last letter, nothing has occurred to vary the sameness of camp life. We have gone into ''Winter Quarters'' and that the winter may be passed as comfortably as possible, the Battery has erected eight log cabins and two domiciles of slabs in which all are well-housed. These habitations are chinked and daubed in the most approved rustic style, and fitted up as they are, with bunks and conveniences for fire, are a most efficient protection against the coming wintry blast.
At evening these pioneer dwellings resound with laugh, jest and song till the inevitable ''Taps'' sounded by ''Nate'' or ''Chapman,'' both men of original and peculiar genius, tells the time for retiring, when, to quote from ''Battery Orders,'' lights must be put out and the camp in a state of repose.
During our 15 months service the Battery has been favored by two picnics by the ladies of Champion and Bristol, received before leaving Camp Wade.
A munificent donation of goods and provisions valued at $75 from the Cleveland Aid Society, presented by their agents Mr. Cory and Mrs. Noble, whose courtesy made the gift doubly welcome, reached us shortly after the Battle of Shiloh, together with a box of provisions from the ladies of Austinburg. As these things were given to us while ''still in the wilderness, before Corinth when, the Commissary stores consisted only of hard crackers (hardtack), bacon and beans, you may be sure they were as 'a feast of fat things.'''
... The above remarks were suggested by the recent reception of two boxes of provisions sent by the Warren Aid Society last August, which have finally reached us after three months of wandering and delay. One box, by some mistake was sent on to Bolivar and has not yet returned.
With the exception of two cans of berries everything was well preserved. For these gifts mentioned below we would return thanks to the following ladies:
Honey and Cherries, Mrs. Stull
Molasses and Butter (extra), Mrs. Stull
1 Gallon Elderberry Wine, Mrs. Harmon
Dried Meat and Fish, Mrs. Douglass
Dried Peaches, Mrs. Parks
Catsup and Syrup, Mrs. King
Dried Currents, Mrs. Harsh
3 Kegs Catsup, Aid Society
Onions, Miss Cellaneous
The articles were very timely and all will testify most acceptable. We can assure the Secretary of the Society that the evidence of feeling alluded to when that Catsup was made is duly appreciated.
The foregoing re-enforces the importance of the role played by Trumbull women on the home front during the conflict.
Compiled by members of the CW150 Committee of Warren's Sutliff Museum.