I am writing in response to Sunday's letter to the editor by Linda Townsend titled "Don't be confused about the two Ryans." I am so glad she cleared up that question, although I seriously doubt anyone would ever accuse the two Ryans (Paul Ryan, Vice President candidate vs. Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan) of being related.
The two Ryans are diametrically different. Never in history has there been such a stark contrast between the Democrats and Republicans. The question every American should ask themselves is "what type of country will the future United States be -- a free country or a version of the European socialistic society?"
Sadly, long forgotten are the days of the idealized 1960s Democrats. Gone are the days of JFK and his infamous quote "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." Today, the Democrat platform stands for less individual freedom via government dependency, government intervention via more programs, business control via environmental regulations and higher corporate taxation, while adding to the $16 trillion federal deficit along with their social platform that promotes abortion and gay marriage.
The number of Americans dependent on the federal government has exploded over the past five years, reaching a record 67.3 million people, according to Heritage's annual Index of Dependence on Government. That means one in five Americans today receive some level of assistance from the federal government. Government assistance/entitlements (not including Social Security) include food stamps, subsidized housing, welfare, Head Start, SSI, Pell grants (tuition not to be repaid) as our country is borrowing money from China to pay for them. And with the addition of Obamacare, which the CBO estimate of $2.6 trillion (forecasted as $0.9 trillion by Obama) in the next decade, the Democrat platform is for government to continue to grow with more social programs. Another staggering statistic is that 47 percent of Americans pay NO Federal Income Tax so that the remaining 53 percent of us carry the tax load for America.
Gratefully, the Republican party/platform has stood by the American ideals and our founding fathers' values.
Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan and the Republicans stand for personal responsibility, less government, pro-business via capitalism and minimizing environmental controls, while reducing the $16 trillion deficit and a social platform that promotes pro-life and pro-marriage.
Never in history have Americans had such a stark contrast between the Democrats and the Republicans. The question every American should ask themselves is "what do I want this country to be for my children and grandchildren."
Sadly, most of us think the type of government we have is a democracy. The better-educated can proudly say that we have a republic. Our founding fathers' plan for the government is to protect equal rights, not provided equal things. The founders recognized that the people can not delegate to their government any power except that which they have the lawful right to exercise themselves.
On Nov. 6, each of us must ask ourselves what kind of America do we want for ourselves and our children. For more than 230 years, our country has been blessed with the vision of our founding fathers. On Nov. 7, the country will know if we will continue with this vision or accept the socialism of the European countries. May God Bless America with the right choice.