The Greater Youngstown Area Soap Box Derby was held Saturday in Cortland. Melody Rose Castner, 11, of Hubbard, took first prize in the Master's Division at Saturday's derby. She will advance to the All-American Soap Box Derby national competition, scheduled for July 21 in Akron.
Tribune Chronicle photos / Michael Taylor
Nico Terrigno, 9, of Austintown, prepares to race during Saturday’s Greater Youngstown Area Soap Box Derby in Cortland.
Top three winners in each division from the local Soap Box Derby races held Saturday in Cortland are listed. Only the first-place winner in each division will advance to the National Soap Box Derby competition in Akron.
1. Eythan Evans, 8, Jackson Milton School, third grade.
2. Nico Terrigno, 9, Frank Ohl Intermediate School, Austintown, fourth grade.
3. Abbie Postlethwait, 10, Mineral Ridge, fifth grade.
(Stock is the beginning class for children ages 7 to 14. The cars, with drivers, can weigh no more than 200 pounds.)
Super stock division
1. Brandon Krohn, 12, Austintown Middle School, seventh grade.
2. Rachel Bockelman, 14, Mathews Local Schools, ninth grade.
3. Lia Brammer, 12, Poland Schools, sixth grade.
(Super Stock is for children ages 10 to 17. The cars, with drivers, can weigh no more than 240 pounds.)
1. Melody Castner, 11, Reed Middle School, Hubbard, sixth grade.
2. Christian London, 16, Austintown Fitch High School, 11th grade.
3. Daisy Corso, 17, Boardman High School, 12th grade.
(Masters is for children ages 10 to 17. The cars, with drivers, can weigh no more than 255 pounds.)