The Howland Historical Society will be holding an open community meeting at 7 p.m. Dec. 14 at the high school cafeteria.
Plans are being formulated for the township's bicentennial celebration. Acording to the historical society, Howland gained state recognition as a township in 1812.
Individuals, clubs and organizations interested in helping plan for the celebration are encouraged to attend the meeting. Committees will be established and discussions will be held concerning possible events and ceremonies that can be planned to recognize the township's historic anniversary year.
According to township history, the first settler arrived in 1799. A sawmill was constructed in the township in 1814 and a gristmill became part of the local business community in 1815. In 1830, Howland Springs began operation as a health spa until it burned in 1882.
The local school district was formed in 1917 when five one-room schools consolidated.
The township covers nearly 18 square miles with a population of more than 20,000.