THE GIRARD CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT is announcing the influenza vaccine will be available between 9 a.m. and noon today, by appointment. Cost is $20 or bring Medicare, Anthem Senior Advantage, Railroad Medicare or Medicaid card. For more information, call330-545-6048.
THE NATIONAL ALLIANCE ON MENTAL ILLNESS, NAMI MAHONING VALLEY is conducting the 2010 fall session of its Family-to-Family Education Classes, which detail many aspects of living with a person with mental illness. The classes are structured to help family members understand and support their ill relative while maintaining their own well-being.
The series of 12 weekly classes will run through Nov. 29; class time is from 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays at the Jewish Community Center, 505 Gypsy Lane. There is no cost for family members. Classes will be limited to the first 22 people who register and additional names will be added to the waiting list for the next session. Registration is required. Call Dianna at 330-540-8583 for information and/or registration applications.
THE TRUMBULL COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT is sponsoring walk-in immunization clinics for children 6 weeks through 18 years at the following locations:
l Newton Falls Community Center - Today, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m.
l Trumbull County Health Department - Wednesday, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.
l WIC Satellite Clinic - Monday, canceled.
Bring child's immunization record. There is an administration fee of $10 per visit. No one will be refused for inability to pay. Anyone younger than 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
The seventh grade Tdap vaccine will be available at all of the clinics.
l The health department also is offering flu shots from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 1. The vaccine is limited to those 19 years or older and/or those with chronic illnesses. Cost is $20 or Medicare Part B, Medicaid Traditional or HMO-Care Source (bring card)
WELLNESSONE OF WARREN will be doing free computerized scans of the spine from noon to 6 p.m. Sept. 28 at the Niles Scope Senior Center, 14 E. State St., Niles, during its arts and crafts show. Contact Kim for more information at 330-505-3515.
Grace AME Nursing Guild and HMHP Cancer Centers are sponsoring the 5th annual PROSTATE SCREENING FOR MEN AGES 40 AND OLDER, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Grace AME.
MENDED HEARTS, CHAPTER 7, a support group for heart patients and their families will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Azalea Room at St. Elizabeth Health Center, Boardman Campus. The topic for the evening is "Ask the Doctor." On the panel will be Dr. Jeffrey Fulton, Dr. Wahoub Hout and Dr. Robert Hunt. The public is invited. For more information, contact Joe Clark at 330-702-8859. A speakers bureau is available to organizations. Contact Lee Meadows at 330-793-2531 for available dates.
THE ALZHEIMER'S ASSOCIATION is holding the annual Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk Saturday in Courthouse Square, Warren. Check-in will be at 8:30 a.m. with the walk at 9:30.
In addition to a one-mile walk, participants will hear messages from participating individuals, including Barbara Romeo Shade, this year's honoree. There also will be entertainment, pumpkin painting for children and raffle drawings. For more information or to register, visit www.Memorywalk2010.kintera.org/warren.
For more information, visit www.alz.org / akroncantonyoungstown or call 800-272-3900.
THE NORTHERN OHIO CHAPTER OF THE NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL (Ohio One Building, Youngstown) is offering the following courses. Pre-registration is required by calling 330-747-8657. The courses will be held at 25 E. Boardman St., Youngstown.
CPR/AED Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillator Course for Adult/Child/Infant (2 year certificate) will be held 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday. $32.
Standard First Aid (3 year certificate) will be held 1 to 4 p.m. Wednesday. $32.
Bloodborne/Airborne Pathogens Course (1 year certificate) 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. $25.
AHA - ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support Recertification, 9 a.m. to p.m. Friday. $50.
Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support, Initial or Refresher (2 year certification), 1 to 4:30 p.m. Friday. $50 for initial course, $32 for the refresher (copy of certificate required).
The 23rd annual Alumni Luncheon of the TRUMBULL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING will be held Oct. 2 at The Center at Brittany Place, 336 Vienna Ave., Niles. All nursing school alumni can attend. Any alumnus who did not receive an invitation may request one by calling Linda Bishop, TMH Nursing Secretary at 330-841-9017.
The Niles Wellness Center and the Global Health & Fitness Center are the host locations for a WELLNESS PROGRAM providing free presentations about changing lifestyles. Seating is limited. Programs are 10:30 a.m. Thursdays, and 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Niles Wellness Center, and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Global Health & Fitness Center. For reservations, call 330-506-3488.
A fitness conditioning program is being offered at the Niles Wellness Center at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. Call 330-349-9355 for more information.
THE STEPPING OUT MINORITY DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM is a free program that includes line dancing, salsa, aerobics and other activities, as well as diabetes prevention; healthy eating and cooking classes; and regular health screenings for cholesterol, body fat, weight and blood pressure.
For more information, call the McGuffey Center, 330-744-4377; OCCHA, 330-781-1808; or United Methodist Community Center, 330-743-5149, Ext. 226.
COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP will meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays at First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren. This group is for those with or those who know someone with a mental illness. For more information, call the church at 330-392-6276.
ST. JOE'S AT THE MALL is open from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday and is located next to Sears at the Eastwood Mall. Call 330-652-7542 to register.
The schedule includes:
- Flu and pneumonia vaccines available various days. Cost is $25 for flu and $38 for pneumonia. Medicare, Medicaid and Medicare HMO will be billed. Call 330-652-7542 for appointment.
- Free blood pressure screenings 9 a.m. to noon every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Weight management strength training program for $20 a month. Nutrition classes will be once a month on diet and behavior modification. Call 330-652-7542 to register.
- Strong Bones, Strong People program registration, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Registration is by appointment. 12-week program of personalized strength training and nutritional education to improve muscle strength and nutrition to help prevent the effects of osteoporosis. Exercise room is available Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Registration is by appointment only.
- Wednesday, 9 to 11 a.m. - Cholesterol screening with 12 hour fast. Other tests available CBC, Hgb A1C, Liver panel, Protime, PSA, Thyroid (TSH) and Comprehensive Metabolic Panel. Cost $10 each. Walk-in.
- Wednesday, 2 to 3 p.m. - Exercise for your Bone Health, live webinar with Karen Kemmis. Call to register- 330-652-7542
- Sept. 27, 9 a.m. to noon - Free Stroke Screening, a nurse will listen to carotid arteries and assess risk factors. Bring cholesterol levels for more accurate screening.
- Sept. 27, 3 to 4 p.m. - Weight Management Through Behavior Modification. Call to register. 330-652-7542
- Sept. 29, noon to 1 p.m. - Talk with The Doc- Cataract/Glaucoma - New Innovations in Treatment, Dr. James Martuccio speaking. Call to register.330-652-7542
- Sept. 30, 1 to 4 p.m. Free Peripheral Vascular Disease Screening. A nurse will do an ankle brachial index to see what your blood pressure is in your ankles and your upper arm. By appointment only. Call 330-652-7542.
- Sept. 30, 1 to 4 p.m. - Free notary public services and free living wills and durable power of attorney for healthcare. Bring names, addresses, phone numbers of 2-3 people that you will designate.
FORUM HEALTH Community Calendar:
- The Stroke Education for Caregivers and Survivors meets 6:30 to 7 p.m. every Wednesday at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital in the nursing unit. 330-841-3891.
- Childbirth Preparation Series is a four-week series of educational classes held each week to help for birth experience. Classes are 7 to 9 p.m. each Wednesday in the John Politis Auditorium in Auditorium C. The cost of the class is $50. Medicaid, Caresource or Unison can be billed directly for registration fee. Bring card to class. To register for Northside classes, call 330-884-2912.
- RTS Bereavement Services, a parent support program for families who are grieving over the loss of their baby, meets 7 to 9 p.m. today, the third Tuesday of each month, in the Medical Education Building, Auditorium A, at Northside Medical Center, 500 Gypsy Lane, Youngstown.
- ACS Focus, a breast cancer support self-help group for women, meets the fourth Wednesday of each month at the American Cancer Society, 525 N. Broad St., Canfield. For more information call 330-888-227-6446, Ext. 2104.
- The Insight Group, a support group that serves patients who have had a brain injury and their families, meets at 6:30 p.m. the last Thursday of the month, at Rehabilitation Hospital in the boardroom. Registration is required by calling 330-841-3757.
Akron Children's Hospital Mahoning Valley is hosting the second annual "MIRACLES AND PROMISES" radiothon at the Beeghly Campus in Boardman on Thursday through Saturday. The radiothon will be broadcast live on Mix 98.9 and 570 WKBN from the main lobby of Building D from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, and from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. Saturday. The radiothon will feature stories about local patients who have received services from Akron Children's Hospital and will spotlight Mahoning Valley services and programs. The radiothon will also be promoted on other local ClearChannel stations including BIG 106.1, 93.3 The Wolf, and 95.9 Kiss-FM.
All the money raised during the radiothon will stay in the Mahoning Valley to benefit local children and families. Donors can call 330-746-9090 or 888-746-9890 at anytime during the radiothon to make a pledge, or they can donate online at www.akronchildrens.org/mv.
THERESA LYONS of Youngstown has met the criteria and passed the examinations to become certified in the areas of wound, ostomy and continence nursing.
Lyons, RN, BSN, CWOCN, is employed at Forum Health's Northside Medical Center in Youngstown.